Intellectual Property & Business Law
Thomas J. Mihill is a Magna Cum Laude graduate of Georgia State University College of Law. Mr. Mihill practices primarily in intellectual property, business law and litigation, construction law, fiduciary law, estate, probate, and guardianship. Mr. Mihill is experienced in arbitration, mediation, and negotiation as well as traditional litigation, and as a licensed neutral he mediated over 150 cases. Mr. Mihill was selected as a Georgia SuperLawyers Rising Star in 2009, 2010, and 2011, and he is also a regular speaker at various seminars and legal education panels on his issues of expertise.
Mr. Mihill has represented clients in litigation, mediation, and arbitration in courts at the state and federal level, both throughout Georgia and nationwide. Mr. Mihill's practice covers a wide variety business litigation issues, including actions to enforce or defend against restrictive covenants, professional liability actions, shareholder disputes, and various breach of contract, tort, and fraud actions. Mr. Mihill also practices in the area of real property law, with experience in premises liability actions, easement issues, nuisance claims, and commercial and residential landlord/tenant disputes.
In the construction arena, Mr. Mihill has represented contractors, subcontractors, and property owners in construction disputes, including actions relating to mechanic's and materialman's liens. Mr. Mihill has handled numerous defective construction claims, from initial compliance with the Georgia Right to Repair Act through arbitration or trial.
In the area of intellectual property, Mr. Mihill has represented individuals and corporations in the registration of copyrights and trademarks, as well as handling trademark and copyright infringement claims, trade secret violations, and cybersquatting actions. Mr. Mihill is particularly active in internet and video game law, and is a member of, and counsel for, the Georgia Game Developers Association. In addition to representing video game designers and game design companies, Mr. Mihill has litigated infringement actions in state and federal courts on behalf of authors, artists, and musicians. Mr. Mihill has also represented clients in licensing and royalty disputes.
Mr. Mihill is a member of the American Bar Association, where he was the Vice-Chair of the Intellectual Property Section's Committee on Computer Games and Virtual Worlds, the Federal Bar Association, the State Bar of Georgia, the Atlanta Bar Association, and the Cobb County Bar Association. Mr. Mihill has spoken and written on legal issues concerning construction law, intellectual property, video games, virtual worlds, and social networking sites.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Mihill achieved a Master's degree in English Literature and taught English and Composition classes at the college level.
Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property
- Business Law and Litigation
- Construction Law
- Fiduciary Law
Georgia State University College of Law, Atlanta, Georgia
Honors: magna cum laude
Law Review: Georgia State Law Review, Student Writing Associate Editor
- CCP hf and CCP North America, Inc. v. World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia)
- Urim Corporation v. Steven L. Krongold and Mark T. Palin (U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia)
- Rebel's Pantry, Inc., Wayne L. Lawrence v. The Right Stuff Food Stores, Inc. (State Court of Fulton County)
- Rebel's Pantry, Inc., Wayne L. Lawrence v. Noble Petroleum Transport, LLC (State Court of Fulton County)
- Carson-Hall, Inc. v. James B. Gandy and Annette Davis (Superior Court of Douglas County)
- Douglas Asphalt Company, Joel H. Spivey, and Kyle Spivey v. Qore, Inc., et al. (U.S. District Court, Southern District of Georgia, Brunswick Division)
- Mary Wojcik, et al. v. Windmill Lake Apartments, et al (State Court of Cobb County)
Honors and Awards
- Georgia SuperLawyers Rising Star, 2009 - 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Georgia, Member
- Atlanta Bar Association, Member
- Cobb County Bar Association, Member
- Georgia Game Developers Association
- International Game Developers Association
Cannon, Mihill & Winkles, LLC, serves clients throughout metro Atlanta and North Georgia, including many in Fulton County, DeKalb County, Fayette County, Coweta County, Clayton County, Cobb County, Douglas County, and cities such as Sandy Springs, Marietta, Alpharetta, Newnan, Peachtree City and Lawrenceville.